Days are becoming shorter & winds blowing cold, when the leaves change colour and descend from their branches, Let's cosy up with a nutritious bowl of butternut squash soup this autumn & winter.
Simple & easy to make, tasty, grounding, comforting and nourishing just perfect for this time of the year.
It is vata & pitta Balancing and rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants.
Enjoy this delicious creamy soup any time of the day or particularly for a light evening meal.
This recipe made by my younger daughter Prisha and we have all become a fan of this soup.
1. Peel the butternut squash and deseed it then cut it up into small 4cm cubes
2. Dice an onion, garlic cloves and deseed the two chillies
3. Then add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the cubes of butternut squash. You should roast in the oven for 30 mins 200C/180C fan/ Gas 6 or sauté on a wide pan till tender (about 15 minutes).
5. Whilst the butternut cooks on a pan, melt 1 tbsp of butter and add the diced onions, garlic cloves and the chillies/ginger, cook till everything is soft (10 minutes)
6. Then tip the butternut in the pan with the onion, garlic and chillies and add the 850ml of vegetable stock water
7. Once its cool add the pan mixture in the blender and add the cup of cilantro then blend
8. Once blended pour it back in the pot to reheat and season according to taste (salt, pepper, cumin & turmeric)
9. Then serve in bowls and can up with double cream on top
Enjoy the meal with a freshly made wholemeal bread roll.